WHEN: Friday September 28, 2018
WHERE: at the Rustic Lodge in Indiana PA
TIME: 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
DETAILS: Breakfast/Registration at 8:30 a.m. Includes lunch.
Free and open to the public.
Family supporting jobs. Healthy and thriving communities. Rural economic vitality that gives all its citizens a chance to prosper.
These are aims of the Indiana County Sustainable Economic Development Task Force.
The Indiana County Commissioners established the Task Force in May 2017, following a successful inaugural Sustainable Economy Summit. The Task Force was charged with identifying new opportunities for economic development, citizen education, and job training/workforce development within four issue areas:
• the renewable energy sector
• innovative agriculture
• sustainable building construction, renovation, and restoration
• wise use of the County’s natural resources
Over the past year, the Task Force has developed a set of recommendations to help guide the County’s progress as a sustainable community. Its final report will be presented at Summit II, on September 28, 2018 at Rustic Lodge, 2199 Oakland Avenue, Indiana, PA. A panel of group leaders will provide background on the process, as well as the recommendations of each group.
Keynote speaker Scott J. Sheely, Special Assistant for Workforce Development for the PA Department of Agriculture, will be joined by other expert speakers. They will highlight opportunities for promoting citizen education, and workforce and economic development within each of the issue areas.
The Task Force steering committee is comprised of representatives from:
• Indiana County Office of Planning & Development
• League of Women Voters of Indiana County and Pennsylvania
• Center for Community Growth
• The Evergreen Conservancy
• IUP Sustainability Studies Program
• Indiana Borough
• Indiana County Conservation District
• Indiana County Technology Center
• Indiana County Center for Economic Operations, a consortium of:
• Indiana County Commissioners
• Indiana County Chamber of Commerce
• Indiana County Development Corporation
• Indiana County Tourist Bureau
• Indiana University of Pennsylvania